Metro New York News- Career Crossroads: Mastering the Transition (September 21, 2010)
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Posted by: Ascend Metro New York
Date: Tuesday, September 21st, 2010
Location: RHI - 245 Park Avenue – 25th floor
Registration: starts at 5:30 PM
Time: 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
On September 21, 2010, the Ascend held an event, "Career Crossroads: Mastering the Transition”, for its professional members which was co-hosted by Robert Half International (RHI). The event featured a panel of specialists from RHI as well as other recruiting firms, who discussed about what one should consider before embarking on a professional transaction, especially given today's economy. Topics that were of particular interests to the audience included:
· What steps should one take when planning a change and/or career transition?
· What risks and rewards should one be aware of when planning or going through a transition?
· How important are techniques such as leveraging one's network, and brushing up on skills and certifications?
· What are the pros and cons of relocating to a different country or transitioning into a new industry altogether?
Key take-aways from the event included:
- Focus on transferable skill sets which you can take with you
- Stay relevant
- Build on skill sets and look for other skills to improve on
- Focus on building relationships
Attendees also had an opportunity to network with others after the panel discussion.